Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Strange Stranger Love

Like I have said before, I get it, babies are cute. But often when a stranger is doting on my little one I find it awkward. There is this moment when someone is talking to G and asking him cute questions when I am just not sure what to do.
Do I answer the questions they ask in that baby voice as if I am G? Or do I just let the question go unanswered, since they should know that he isn't actually going to answer them. Or do I just answer as his mom?
I don't want to seem rude, but I am not a stranger engaging kind of gal in the first place. Before G, I was already awkward if someone tried to start up conversation in the grocery line. I am definitely guilty of gushing over other people's babies in the past, but now as a mom I often find it strange.
Yesterday, we encountered some strong and definitely strange stranger love. It was made even more awkward because I was trying to order lunch and the man behind us was having a full conversation with G that was attracting a lot of attention. Do I continue to order, do I stop and talk to the man? So awkward!
Even though my response is uncomfortable I do appreciate the LOVE.

1 comment:

  1. I've wondered the same thing in the past, even though I know I'm guilty of gushing over other people's babies. (I just can't help myself!) I tend to just keep doing what I'm doing unless the strangers are really funny or sweet, then I join in with the gushing. Then again, sometimes I get annoyed when people *don't* gush over my babies--and really, what's up with THAT?

    ReplyDelete